A Stone's Throw

practice your aim. you never know when you'll spy 2 birds at once.

Monday, October 24, 2005

the love

October 24, 2005 - Donegal Town

Bonny Donegal.

I have found the quaint retreat that I had sought in the fair sleepy town of Donegal. Perched on the edge of the aptly named Donegal Bay that reaches into the cold Atlantic, the town of perhaps 3500 residents is a boon to those in need of repose. After all the spinning days up until now, things have settled nicely to rest and allow me time to reflect and rest. Traveling wears you out. Living out of the bag and whatnot.

I swear that I now carry more non-perishable food items with me than clothes, only because cooking your own food is so much more affordable than eating out. The funny thing is how much you crave condiments. Mustards and ketchups, mayonaise and steak sause, dressings and oils, and of course - spices. People, love and shelter your condiments and spices. Hold them tight. You don't know the monotony of dry bread and cheap meat until you can't soften the blow with a wonderfully spread mayo or a tangy delightful mustard. And the extras.

Oh, the extras. Crisp lettuce crunching with each bite. Juicy tomatoes, sliced thin, zipping taste buds around your mouth in a crazy dance of wonder. Onions for those without care of their neighbor. Extras.

Love them.

Love them for the fact that they may be waiting for you in your fridge. Love them because you assume you will always have them at your culinary disposal. Love them as I love them.

Share the love people - have a sandwich tonight.

- C

1 Comments:

  • At 2:47 AM , Blogger Caleb Jordan Schulz said...

    nice is, as you have noted, a small word with large implications. I have have a number of delicious panini sandwiches, and helped myself to a bowlful of homemade irish stew that a couple had made when they weren't looking. In my defense, the cook had said earlier while doing the cooking that I could try some. And it was tasty.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home