A Stone's Throw

practice your aim. you never know when you'll spy 2 birds at once.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

A One Way Ticket

November 6, Sunday¿ Barcelona

Ahhhhh....Spain.

Home to bullfighting, chorizo, tappas, and Estrella Damm Lager. And the home of nearly perfect weather. It was 70· today with brilliant blue skies, a wisp of a breeze, and a smiling sun.

I flew in under rather auspicious beginnings. All I really knew was that I was going to Girona Spain, which I knew from a weathered map that it was on the Mediterranean. I had a Spanish-English pocket dictionary in hand, and a sense of abandon. Which aside from a plane ticket and a pocket of euros is all you really need.

What I didn´t figure in was another time change. Whoops. Just figured its pretty much south from where I was, so why the need for a time change. Regardless, they changed it on me, and I got to Girona at something around 10 pm. Which is fine if you know anything about where you are aside from being near the Mediterranean. So, it was with a sort of shrug that I hopped on a bus bound for Barcelona, yet another city I didn´t know much about besides the geography, an Olympics was there a few years back, and that when you say Barcelona, you are supposed to pronounce it ´Bar-they-lone-a´. So, naturally, it seemed like the best place to go.

The bus arrived into the big B at around 11:30pm and uncerimoniously dumped me off at an abondoned station. It´s dark, it´s empty, and it´s a city of 1.5 million. Good odds for a mugging. So I quickly hauled the proverbial ass and sped off towards lights and the sound of vehicles. A long walk took me to a street I had heard of called La Ramblas (which is naturally pronounced La Hamblas).

Working with two cute aussie lasses, we found a hostel called the Ideal Hostel, which I thought was appropriate when at the sliding glass doors of the place, there was a huge vending machine that produced only beer.

And now I am living the Barcelona life. Eating squid, watching the national team win at soccer, fending off unsavory folks on the streets. But yet, as the Polish would say: you must try...

And I did and so must you as well. This is a grand city. Most everything that I heard about this place is true. It is big. It is beautiful. It is fun. They have walkways lined with palm trees that are supported by even more lines of Sycamores, all the way offering quaint benches to relax at, for if there is anything the Spanish have got down to a science is how to take it easy.

It is imperative to visit La Segarda Familia - an absolutely collosal structure dedicated to various events in the life of Christ. I don´t believe I´ve ever seen such an edifice of its size or detail. Begun by the renown artist Gaudi, it towers over most of the city and is unlike anything I´ve ever seen. Gaudi, the city´s patron, is evident everywhere throughout the city, from sculptures to gargoyles, and most especially in the mosaics. And what amazing mosaics.

The Mediterranean is dreamlike in its azure glory and I shall bask while I can.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM , Blogger Caleb Jordan Schulz said...

    a brilliantly wielded day my friend. lid, the beaches are so fair and inviting even the goth kids are pretending to enjoy themselves here. hope the flicks are cool. everything here is in spanish, naturally, but there´s nothing like a ?Pelicula¿!! to keep a body honest. keep the faith bro -

     
  • At 6:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW! SPain already? Did you find Hector Daniel Moya Rodrieguez? Just kidding. Weather is fair here in the heartland. The boat is put away:( We await your newest adventure but suggest you skip Paris or go through real fast so you don't get singed! Birdie

     
  • At 8:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yo, I'd skip France right about now. Have you been following the news. 14 days of riots - and not they're approaching the center of the city. Rioting has also spread to Germany and Belgium - but to a leser degree. Most the disenfranchised and Mulsim. So much for being nice and opening your borders for them to come in...
    Big Daddy

     
  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger Caleb Jordan Schulz said...

    I´ve seen the news about the Riots in France and elsewhere. It´s an interesting dilema. I´ve met people that have just come from there, and they say its fine, as long as you don´t own a car. It´s all about making a statement, which although i don´t agree with how they show their protesting, I understand what they´re issue is.

    That said, I don´t think it will deter me from going to France or otherwise. I just have to be wary - but that´s commonplace when you travel with the world on your back.

    Secondarily, I do, in a way, want to see some of this. Events like this are things that can find their way into history books, and it intrigues me. it´s that journalist interest I suppose. But no worries, I am not going there yet...

     
  • At 8:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
    »

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home