A Stone's Throw

practice your aim. you never know when you'll spy 2 birds at once.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday Music

Portenos love their music. Be it the notes of the Tango or the thumping bass of the club at 4 am or the singing of the crowds at the futbol matches, the music infiltrates the city like nothing else.

I walked the streets of Palmero and San Telmo today during the Sunday marketplace, listening to the sounds of the city. Just a random sampling of what I heard: an old man playing violin on a streetcorner, a man playing some sort of tin, drum-like instrument, a chorus of violinists and accordian players, a dude puffing away on a digeradoo, and a series of bands playing all sorts of music. As soon as you think you´ve left a song behind, a new one begins.

Just about everything Portenos do includes music. I´m not much for concerts usually, but something about this city gets into your blood. Just in the last two weeks I´ve been to a jazz fusion concert, a rock concert, an open air concert in the park, the Brazilian Bakukada, and La Bomba - the most rockin live drum show I´ve ever seen. I´ll blog more about La Bomba and the Bakukada later, but for now, I´ve added a brief clip of some street musicians I discovered earlier today.


3 Comments:

  • At 10:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So good to read your blog! Loved the piece on cats!

     
  • At 1:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It is not often that I am jealous of your travels, but this, THIS is very appealing.

     
  • At 9:28 AM , Blogger Caleb Jordan Schulz said...

    the music of the city just swells up around you and it´s impossible to escape. never been anywhere quite like it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home