A Stone's Throw

practice your aim. you never know when you'll spy 2 birds at once.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Whale Watching

Ok, so in visiting the beach town of Montanita, I had the opportunity to check another item from my list of things I've always wanted to do - whale watching. Apparently, Humpback whales migrate along the Ecuadorian coastline on one of the longest migration routes in the world. Anyway, when I saw the opportunity, I jumped at the chance. I traveled to Puerto Lopez, took a boat from there and an hour later, amid the huge ocean swells, we found the whales.

They are so incredibly huge that its immediately humbling. You realize quite quickly how fragile your little shell of a boat really is.












And then they started jumping, or, rather, breaching. Its awing and unnerving at the same time. Again and again they would jump, coming out of nowhere to launch into the sky and then crash into the sea. Absolutely amazing.






At the end, the whales began to play around more - waving their tails at us, rolling on their backs, rearing up to peer at us with these gentle ancient eyes. It was sad to leave them, but I will certainly take up any opportunity to see more whales in the future.
Truly one of the highlights of my time in Latin America.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You and I are no longer on speaking terms LOL I was jealous at the howler monkeys and now I am just livid at the whales! Again, my obsession becomes clear :)

     
  • At 7:25 PM , Blogger Caleb Jordan Schulz said...

    Absolutely glorious to see those humpbacks. Sorry you missed it - but hey, its just one more vacation for you to go on!

    Who know what's next on my plate...

     
  • At 6:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As always, just promise me you'll be careful! No more of these dark alleys with criminals hey? LOL

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home