A Stone's Throw

practice your aim. you never know when you'll spy 2 birds at once.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Salta


When I first arrived in Salta, in northwestern Argentina, I didn´t intend to stay long. I had the wandering bug. But like all things when you´re backpacking - situations will and do change often. Having to wait around for my Bolivian visa forced me to find things to do in the sleepy city and, in time, I was glad I stuck around for a few days. After the whirlwind of Buenos Aires and Iguazu Falls, it was nice to relax for a few days. And anyone who´s spent any time in either place knows what i mean.

A few days in I had some of the best deserts I´ve ever had (and most everyone knows how scant my sweettooth is) in a castle on the side of a mountain in San Lorenzo. Brilliant. Also managed to climb Mt. San Bernardo and be sufficiently reminded how out of shape I am.

Salta also has a beautiful selection of cathedrals, monasteries, and churches. One of the best I´ve included here.

Also on display is an exhibit of 3 ice mummies, found amazingly preserved at the highest point a mummy has ever been found. The display features the children who were sacrificed on the mountain top some 500 years ago. It was a stark reminder of how far we´ve come as a people.

But i´ll be moving on soon enough. I have my visa in hand and a lot of great ideas of where i´ll go. I´ve caught wind of some adventures and am ready to see where that leads...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home