A Stone's Throw

practice your aim. you never know when you'll spy 2 birds at once.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

the mountain of the art world

Thursday December 1 - Paris

Bagettes, chain-smoking, winos, fantqstic art - a recipe for Paris.

(My apologies in advance for any typos - this is a french keyboard and everything on it is all jumbled up. Nothing like having to shift to use the period)

Paris is both huge as well as cold. Not the people so much as the wind. I havent yet made up my mind on my overall opinion of the place, but they really do have some nice museums. The Musee d'Orsay was brilliant with its work from the 1880's to the 1910's, of special note for me were being able to view Picasso's self portait, rooms full of Degas, and my long favs - Seurat and Monet.

Then came the mighty Louvre. What a collosal place. I spent over 8 hours there and still didnt see everything. There was the largest collection in the world of DeVincis, which only numbered 4, including naturally Mona Lisa. Like I thought, she was smirking at all the people. My favorites though were Ingres, Prud'hon, Vien, but the one ^painter of note I found myself studying the most was Rembrandt. I found a room of perhaps 20 of his paintings, where not too many people passed through, and spent a good 40 mins there. He creates a quality of life on the canvas that is just breathtaking, yet sad.

The Eiffle Tower is just bloody big. Impressive, but unless there was money involved there was no way I was paying someone to climb those steps in the cold wind. Nope.

Today I visted Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise, an absolutely massive place where laying to rest are the likes of Chopin, Oscar Wilde, Seurat, Proust, Jim Morrison, Moliere, Corot, Pisarro, etc. It is a beautiful place with huge structures that were both monuments and statements at once.

Will spend a few more days here, but this is a place to visit in better weather for certain. But I tell you - if you are here in the cold, be sure to enjoy the way Paris lights up for christmas - they do like a good light show...

For now, I must wander back to the lodging to warm up...

Oh - will post qbout my adventures in Venice and Bergamo Italy when the entire country went on strike. You've never imagined the mess....

§ a c°knote

2 Comments:

  • At 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Gay Pari! how fantastic...I would spend all my time in the museums sketching my favs.

     
  • At 7:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So you made it to Paris. Good for you! I knew you'd love the museums. What a great opportunity to see so much of the 'masters' works in one place. I'm sure it was both inspirational and humbling at the same time.

    Big Daddy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home